The year 2015 is in full swing, and it’s time to welcome a new group of cool kids to the blog. But first, let’s give a shout out to Chris, Erin, Kristin, Jesse and Yordy who spent the fall writing about how to become a straight ally, stand up to bullies, and help a friend with a mental illness when you have one yourself. Great stuff!
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is psyched to have six new You Matter bloggers who will be sharing their personal stories in effort to let everyone know that they matter. You’ll get to know them over the next few months, but today we are starting with everyone’s favorite orientation game (ok, maybe that’s a stretch), Five Facts.
AJ, 20, Washington
Five Facts About AJ
1. I graduated from Washington State University Vancouver with my Bachelor’s Degree in December of 2014.
2. I am the shortest member of my immediate family.
3. I am a proud member of the queer community and am in a committed relationship with the best partner anyone could ask for.
4. I tend to be anti-social, yet I love social media both for personal and business use.
5. I am, without a doubt, a workaholic. I love to work and constantly work from home after working a full day in the office!
Alec, 17, Massachusetts
Five Facts About Alec
1. I am an Amazon Bestselling author (yes, I did self-publish).
2. I currently do online school to balance my writing time more easily.
3. My favorite TV show is Pretty Little Liars, or literally anything else on ABC Family.
4. I’m an in between an extrovert and an introvert: Basically, I am outgoing to only certain people and am shy around the rest.
5. I can read one book a day.
Brynn, 22, Michigan
Five Facts About Brynn
1. I am a senior at Central Michigan University studying political science, sociology, and ethics
2. I am passionate about human rights and justice
3. I first heard about the You Matter opportunity when volunteering with the Trevor Project with 11 other fantastic Central Michigan University Chippewas though our Alternative Break program
4. Cats rule…and dogs rule too, but I’m slowly turning into a cat lady (as I’m writing this my cat is sitting on the keyboard distracting me)
5. I graduate in May and after that, I don’t know where I will be…but that is a-OK. Bring on the world!
Danielle, 21, Texas
Five Facts About Danielle
1. My majors in college are Film/TV/Digital Media and Psychology. I hope to have a career in which I can combine them somehow.
2. My favorite movie is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and my favorite TV show would have to be Boy Meets World.
3. I am currently a volunteer for Crisis Text Line and I also serve on the exec board for my college’s To Write Love on Her Arms University Chapter.
4. My dream artist to see live is Ed Sheeran.
5. I love cheesy jokes so be prepared for some of those on my blog posts.
Emma, 13, Maryland
Five Facts About Emma
1. I’m a Carson Scholar and member of the National Jr. Honor Society.
2. I have 2 dogs and 4 cats.
3. I am 1 of 5 kids and am the oldest girl.
4. I play viola in my school orchestra, festival strings, and chamber orchestra.
5. I love to volunteer…especially at animal shelters.
6. And a bonus…I am an avid supporter of IKEA hide and seek!
Heather, 16, Virginia
Five Facts About Heather
1. I like to write, draw, and play guitar in my spare time.
2. I volunteer with the YMCA. I love working with kids.
3. I have anxiety, but I wouldn’t be where I am today without it. I want people to know that they’re worth more than their mental illnesses.
4. I’m not sure what I want to do as a job, but I can see myself working with children and people with special needs.
5. I love animals. I have two dogs and two cats.